Root Canals in Lacey, Tacoma, and Tumwater
We know all too well the faces people make when they hear that a root canal will help treat their condition. They groan and roll their eyes; some even look terrified!
The bad reputation of the root canal is unfortunate. This treatment is actually quite straightforward, and thanks to recent advances in techniques and instruments, far more comfortable than you’ve heard or imagined!
Best of all, a root canal will relieve the pain of an infected tooth. The high rate of success with root canals means that we can usually save a tooth that might otherwise be lost and replaced, so a root canal can also save you quite a bit of trouble and money, as well.
What Is a Root Canal?
While most people have heard of root canal treatments, few know what is actually involved. Removing some of the mystery can be helpful since we tend to fear what we don’t understand.
Here are the basics of root canal therapy:
- The root canal itself is actually a part of your tooth's anatomy. Your root canals are small "tunnels" in the roots of your teeth through which the nerves and blood vessels of your tooth run.
- Sometimes, these root canals can become infected. This can happen because of deep decay or damage to the tooth that allows bacteria in. Sometimes the cause of the infection is unknown. In most cases, these infections are quite painful.
- To treat the infection, we need to access the root canals of your teeth and the soft interior, called the pulp. We do this by first numbing the area and then creating a small hole in your tooth.
- Using specialized instruments, your dentist carefully cleans out the interior of your tooth, removing the infected pulp and damaged nerves. If needed, an antibiotic may be placed to get rid of any remaining infection.
- The tooth will be filled so it stays intact. If needed, we may recommend a crown to protect it since root canal therapy can cause a tooth to become brittle.
Keeping You Comfortable During Your Treatment
Your comfort is one of our highest priorities at Tranquility Dental Wellness Center, and it’s the centerpiece of everything we do.
While we take care of your teeth, you can watch a favorite movie on the TV mounted over your chair or listen to music through the noise-cancelling headphones, whichever you prefer. You can also enjoy a spa treatment like soothing paraffin hand wax. And, if needed, we offer nitrous oxide to help you stay calm and relaxed.
Before you know it, your treatment will be complete. The infection will be gone. It will take a couple of days to heal completely, but soon you will be feeling like yourself again!
If you have any concerns or anxieties about your treatment, please let us know. We are here to listen and help. We know that you are so much more than your teeth, and our goal is always to treat your whole self and give you the care and compassion you need when you are worried and in pain.
Call Today for an Emergency Appointment
If you in pain or suspect an infection, please don’t wait another moment. Call our Tumwater, Lacey, or Tacoma dental office today and let us know what’s going on so we can get you in and help you feel better fast.